We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them – A Einstein
Learning to get space from our thoughts will help us stay grounded no matter what is going on.
- Notice what’s really happening here? Am I lost in thoughts? How do I feel emotionally and physically?
- Notice where you are – really see, smell, hear the moment
- Feel the weight of your body on your feet or the soft touch of the feet with your shoes, socks, air on your skin depending on if you are lying down, sitting or standing
- Maybe press a little more firmly into the feet. Really feeling the solidity under your skin, your fantastic boots ;-). If it helps, explore how it feels to shift the weight from one foot to the other, or wiggle your toes. Feel it rather than think about how it feels
- Do this for as long as it takes to encourage your focus to move from thinking about anything to experiencing being here, now. Do this again and again and again and again…until you get some space from the original thoughts that were occupying your mind. As we breathe more deeply and open up mentally and physically we can move beyond the limitations of unhelpful thoughts and feelings.
- As best you can let go of any reactivity. Encourage a release of tension in the body, such as in your shoulders, jaw, hands, stomach… And open up a space to allow more helpful thoughts to appear.
Pause, reflect, focus, respond, repeat…